Post to Facebook!

How to Use Rituals to Keep your Projects on Track


Last week in HouseZenGarden.com I talked about October
as a great month for home projects such as gardening.

Besides a great way to get exercise and fresh air, gardening can be a great way to show your love of the seasons, gardening or just tackling a to-do list.

One way to approach a gardening to-do list comes from an idea I heard during my morning walk. This morning, I listened to Michael Hyatt's podcast #028 about increasing productivity through rituals. While we all have daily rituals to get us going with our jobs, we can also use the idea of rituals in tackling our seasonal tasks.

For instance, one of my seasonal rituals is to decorate the front door at the beginning of October. This ritual helps me with my to-do list for fall:
  • Encourages me to clean up of the exterior front door area, including wiping away cobwebs, cleaning front door's glass, sweeping away leaves, etc.
  • Motivates me to add old-fashioned fun to a typical work day or weekend, by decorating for the season with pumpkins, hay bales, scarecrows, ghosts - or anything that brings you back to the fun of  autumn and Halloween
  • Gives me a sense of completion when I finish my gardening task
So many people work in jobs where a sense of completion is hard to come by as they tackle their workload. But building rituals whether daily or seasonal gives you a sense of order and satisfaction, that costs little but the commitment to enjoy your day and enjoy the season at the same time.

What daily or seasonal rituals are fun for your or your family?

By the way, if you need some inspiration to tackle your gardening to-do list,
check out this blog:
A Way to Garden for a list of gardening chores to tackle now.

Need help with your home design, inside or out?
Call 732 690-2030 or email at: masmith729@comcast.net
M. A. Smith, Ltd.
masmithinteriordesign.com
bestdesigncoach.com

No comments:

Post a Comment